Image and Personal Success
Dear Clients and Friends,
I have been so preoccupied with talking about the importance of image in the workplace; I haven’t spent enough time talking about the importance of your image on a personal level. I heard a sermon last Sunday that really hit home with meâ€¦the Pastor spoke about something very near and dear to my own life how image affects us as women, wives, mothers etcâ€¦He did hit on the importance of image in the workplace as well by saying that your appearance is more important than your resume, IQ or qualifications! I couldn’t agree more! He continued by saying that how you look determines how people look at you – I couldn’t believe I was in church!
It was what he said about the personal side of appearance that really resonated with me. He said that some people will say to him that they don’t want people to look at them from the outside, but to look at them and see their heart as God sees their heartâ€¦he continues to quote a scripture that says men (human beings) don’t do that, only God does! He then continues to say that no man ever looked at a woman and said dear God check out her brain, haha. I could never deliver the line on paper as well as when he says it (with a ton of humor accompanied by his straightforward nature), but the principal rings very true! People unfortunately will judge you by your appearance and create ideas about you before you’ve even had a chance to introduce yourself does your wardrobe represent who you are? A great point he makes is that men are visual creatures made that way by God and even if we have been married for many years, we can’t forget that! Please do not get complacent on the weekends! Think of the weekends as your time to shine with your partners I’m not suggesting that you have to give up comfort for fashion, but don’t give up on fashion completely just because it is a Saturday.
As women, we wear so many hats and I know how easy it is to get caught putting ourselves lastâ€¦and our fashion can become a bit monotonous and unflattering. I also understand how easy it is to substitute comfort for fashion, but I want to encourage you to not do that. We owe it to ourselves to look the best we can look at all times, even when we are watching our kids play soccer on a hot day. If you don’t buy dowdy clothing, you can’t reach for it.
My policy is to always be very honest with my friends and clients about fashion and their image. I have listed a few fashion traps below that I often see and want you to avoid! Please pick up the May copy of At Home Tennessee magazine you will see my suggestions for some fabulous transition pieces that will take you from spring to summer seamlessly!
Please call or e-mail me to set up a complimentary consultation. I would love to help you with all of your fashion needs.
· Loose t-shirts (ones that could fit two of you) are for working out and gardening (if you are single and looking to find someone, I would veer away from them in any public place). Regardless of your size, you can find comfortable clothing for working out that doesn’t create more weight where you don’t have it.
· Crocs are for the garden. If your husband/boyfriend has a 9 to 5 job during the week and your weekends are your quality time together, I would stay away from them on the weekends even if you are gardening. I have a few examples below that are comfortable substitutes!
· BE CAREFUL WITH CROPPED PANTS! Please refer to the March 09 newsletter for my tips on wearing cropped pants for the summer.
· Bras that do not support you this is the number one place you cannot get lazy. Even on a comfort first’ day, a great bra will give you a polished look. Typically a lace bra will not give you any support. Your chest should be rounded to a degree and lifted. If this is not the case, you are not wearing the right bra. If your flesh bulges over the bra at the armpits – the side wings are too narrow. You may need a fuller-figure-style bra. If flesh bulges over the back under band – the under band is too small. 9 out of 10 times, you need a wire for extra supportâ€¦a plain cotton bra will most likely not hold you up appropriately. 80% of the time, my clients haven’t been fitted for bras in a very long time get fitted by somebody who really knows what they are doing and get suggestions from sales people. Don’t hesitate to ask for the expert in the store if you are in Nashville I have suggestions!
· The number one mistake women make is with pants. The fit of your pant done incorrectly can age you and make you look frumpy regardless of the rest of your outfit. Many times we think that looser fitting pants look better this is never the case with work pants! (See March 09 newsletter for pant fit).
· Wear make-up. It doesn’t have to be the entire face, but you will always feel better and your partner will appreciate it! Mascara, lip gloss and a bit of blush will do when you are limited on time. If you don’t have time to do your hair, pull it back in a sexy loose bun and side sweep your bangs. You can even take a curling iron to the short pieces on top and pin them back with bobby pins for a tousled but beautiful look.
· Facial hair this is the number one complaint I get from boyfriends/husbands on my questionnaires. If you don’t have a magnifying mirror, I suggest you buy one! If you have any hair on your upper lip whatsoever, even if you think it is light get it waxed!
· Gray hair. This is tricky. 99% of the time, I would suggest getting it dyed. A full head of gray hair can be stunning depending on the woman. If you have straggly gray pieces mixed in with your brown or black, definitely get it dyed!
· Never buy a piece of clothing that you can’t include into your current wardrobe this is a huge trap! I have seen many a closet where pieces still have tags after months because there is absolutely nothing to wear with them.
· If you wouldn’t buy it at regular price, don’t buy it just because it is on sale.
· Do NOT pay attention to sizes, and never buy anything anticipating that it will fit after you lose 5 pounds. Your body shape changes when you lose weight and the piece may not look good anyway. Stores and designers are not consistent with their sizes if you are an 8 in one store and a 12 in another, don’t worry! Buy the size that fits your body the best nothing is worse than wearing something that is too tight and pulling in the wrong places.
· Do not wait to lose weight to buy clothing that makes you feel and look good! So many times I hear from clients that they waited months/years to finally buy clothing that makes them feel fantastic. You should look fabulous at any weight and body shape. If you look your best, it will encourage you to keep looking that way. Otherwise, you may get pulled into a style rut.
· Take time for yourself. If you have ignored your fashion, take control now! You deserve to feel beautiful daily, and I truly believe that if you look good you will reach further in life. People around you will be inspired by you including your children, colleagues, friends and partner!
· There are two wardrobe items that should ALWAYS be top notch your purse and your sunglasses. Even if you are wearing something that isn’t your favorite, your purse and your glasses will keep you in the game if they are smashing.
Here are some fantastic summer shoe options that are comfortable and fashionable.
The two on the bottom right are the ‘Born’ brand – equally fashionable and made for comfort!